Lead Awareness and Your Children – Get them tested at age 1 and age 2!
Did you know that 1 in 22 children in America have high levels of lead in their blood? You cannot see, smell, or taste lead. You may have lead around your home in dust, paint, dirt, water, or food without knowing it is there. Lead does not break down naturally, so it can remain a problem until it is removed.
There is good news. There are simple steps you can take to identify risks to your family:
- Get your child tested at age 1 and then again at age 2.
- Keep your home clean from dust or dirt that may contain lead.
- Eat lots of calcium rich foods.
- Get the lead out of your drinking water by running the cold water tap until it is very cold before drinking or cooking.
- Reduce any risk from lead paint by removing any loose paint chips.
Get Your Kids Tested!
Lead is a poison that can affect every part of the body and can cause:
- Learning problems.
- Behavior problems.
- Other serious health issues.
Lead may be Poisoning Someone You Love
Our Lead Poisoning Reminder program targets young children who have had a blood lead level of 10µg/dL or above. We also contact parents of children who have never been tested. Our most recent results showed an alarming number of children with high lead levels. These children are considered to be “lead poisoned.” Blood levels above 10 µg/dL are dangerous to the health of your child. It is important to have your child tested again if your child’s lead level is above 10 µg/dL. This can be done with a simple blood test. Please call your doctor if your child has not been tested.
Click here for more information on what parents need to know about protecting children from the harmful effects of elevated lead levels.